Avocado Brownies….. WHAT!?
I had 4 almost waaaaay over ripe avocados in my kitchen.
I make a lot of avocado mousses and smoothies (see my Chocolate Avocado Pudding recipe see my chocolate avocado pudding here) but I needed a change.
On searching Pinterest for ‘chocolate avocado’ (c’mon, it had to be chocolate!) (and isn’t Pinterest the best thing EVER invented!? Does anyone actually need recipe books anymore!? Oh, and find my Pinterest page here ;-)) my search results were flooded with avocado brownie recipes…..
Hmmm, sounds good in theory, but would an avocado brownie taste like avocado? I’m all for their health benefits and all, but i’ll admit, my avocado recipes usually do everything possible to disguise their taste! But I decided to give it a go.
How-To Make ‘Em Healthy
Now the only problem was most of the recipes I saw included a lot of granulated sugar and butter and me being me, wanted to be able to munch them without guilt (it’s another Friday night alone with TV and cats for company).
What if we swap sugar for honey and butter for low sugar peanut butter…… Well the avocados I had left were close to needing to be thrown out so I figured I had nothing to loose!
I adjusted the recipes to add my healthy twist and as I poured the mix into the baking tray I have to admit I was rather excited about just how good it looked!
But will it Work?
I wasn’t sure how long they’d need in the oven so I paced back and forward from the kitchen to the living room checking them every so often so I didn’t risk over baking them.
After 35 minutes I took them out rather excited about just how brownie like they looked and once they cooled (felt like the longest 20 minutes EVER!) I was deeeelighted to be left with moist, gooey, fudgy brownies that tasted nothing like avocado!
I even gave one to my step-dad to try and he almost choked when I told him there was avocado in there 😉 As a bonus, even Aiden who was currently going though his, ‘I only eat toast’, phase gave them a huge thumbs up! Wait till i tell him he’s eating avocado…..
- 180g good quality dark chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter
- 80g reduced sugar peanut butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 2 ripe avocados
- 80g wholemeal plain flour
- 40g cocoa
- ¼ almond milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Begin by adding the chocolate, butter and peanut butter to a microwaveable bowl and gently melt on a low heat being careful not to burn.
- Meantime, whisk the eggs and honey in a large mixing bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes to really fluff up the eggs.
- Next, mash the avocados in a dish until a smooth paste then add to the egg and honey. It wont look great - don't panic!
- Once the chocolate mix has melted and cooled add to the large mixing bowl and gently fold into egg mix.
- Add the flour and cocoa to the bowl and very gently fold into the wet mix to combine. Being careful not to over mix.
- Lastly, stir in the almond milk.
- Pour into a greased baking tray and bake for 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy - guilt free!
Stay Up To Date
Subscribe for FREE and get new blog posts, inspiration, recipes and more straight to your inbox