Banana and Blueberry Muffins are a classic.
So on my mission to be the ‘perfect’ mummy feeding my son the ‘perfect’ foods, I found myself on a mission to find healthy baking recipes I can give little man (ahem, me) to eat and not fill up on sugar and crap!
Cut to the image that filled my head…. the perfect stepford mummy standing in a sun drenched kitchen, wearing a flowery apron and head scarf, whistling while she effortlessly whips up tasty treats for us…..
However, healthy but delicious child approved baking does exist! Phew. And a banana and blueberry muffins recipe seemed like a great place to start.
Allow me to introduce you to healthy, guilt free banana and blueberry muffins literally oozing with yumminess! They are moist, sweet and full of flavour – nothing like what you’d expect from a whole wheat treat. Plus they are so quick and easy to make, perfect for breakfast or snack time!
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 cups wholegrain oats (normal oats will do!)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, and lightly coat 8-10 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with muffin cases.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar and chia seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas then add the egg and whisk with a fork. Next, add the melted coconut oil (make sure it's not hot) and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well until all combined,
- Add a little milk at a time and stir into the batter.
- Finally, add the blueberries and carefully fold into the mixture - keep them whole so they ooze yumminess when you bite into them!
- Divide the batter between the muffin trays. This batter usually makes 12 muffins.
- Bake at for for 20 minutes, or until barely firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Stay Up To Date
Subscribe for FREE and get new blog posts, inspiration, recipes and more straight to your inbox