This is not a sponsored post, however, i may earn some money or products from the companies mentioned
What Do You Get a 1 Year Old For His Birthday???
When Aiden was approaching his first birthday I wrote on a social media ‘Mummy Group’ and asked them for ideas on ‘what to buy your son for his first birthday’.
I was given lots of ideas from ride on vehicles, interactive toys, keepsake items to mark the occasion…. but what featured heavily was Vtech Toot Toot Drivers……
“What the hec is that!?” I thought,
But not wanting them to know how clueless I was I simply replied with a “Oh great, yeah, great idea, thanks!” – and then swiftly googled ‘Toot Toot Drivers’…..
So What the Hec Are Toot Toot Drivers….?
Well if you’re a mum to a child under 1, you could be forgiven for not knowing. However, if you have a child older than 1, particularly a boy, you will most certainly have heard of them at some point!
As described on the Vtech website –
“Toot-Toot Drivers playsets are miles of learning fun! Each playset comes with different track shapes that let you reconfigure the playset or connect to other Toot-Toot Drivers playsets (each sold separately) to encourage your child’s creativity. Plus, playsets are equipped with SmartPoint? technology. SmartPoint locations recognise and respond to SmartPoint vehicles with sound effects that keep little ones engaged by boosting imaginative play, teaching cause and effect and other important learning skills”.
Sounds great huh?
After viewing the various products in the Toot Toot Drivers range and the different shops that supplied them, comparing prices and reviews I decided it was definitely worth purchasing and went for the ‘Vtech Toot Toot Drivers Garage and Tow Truck’.
Vtech Toot Toot Drivers Garage Review…. Worth the Hype? Worth the Price?
Suitable for : 1-5 Year Olds
What’s Included: A Parking Garage with Tow Truck
Developmental Benefits: ‘imaginative Play’, ‘Language Development’, ‘Motor Skills’, ‘Sensory Development’
Features: The garage features 3 floors with 4 electronic locations that trigger reactions such as voices, music and lights. The interactive parts teach colours, numbers and road safety.
- The garage as described has 3 floors and features a tower lift which leads to all 3 floors. On the top of the lift is a turning helipad which lifts up and lowers the tower lift which turns using an easy to grasp chunky handle. When the lift moves to the very top it flips up so that the vehicle automatically moves down towards the ramp. The Tow Truck that comes with the garage teaches the vehicle name and plays songs, phrases and fun sound effects.
- The first (bottom) floor features an interactive parking spot, a (removable) interactive car wash track part and the bottom entrance of the lift.
- The 2nd (middle) floor features weighing scales to ‘weigh’ the cars and 2 interactive parking spots as well as access to the lift.
- The 3rd (top floor) features the lift exit, a petrol pump, 3 interactive parking spots, 3 chunky musical and interactive buttons (red, yellow and green) that when pressed teach colours and weather along with buttons for the car wash and petrol and finally an exit gate leading to a ramp which goes down to the 2nd floor.
- Each interactive spot plays a variety of fun phrases, songs & music to teach the user colours, numbers and road safety
To view the product on Amazon please click here
It was fairly easy to assemble and insert the batteries required (3 x AAA and 2 x AA – not included). I had to apply all the stickers / decoration myself which was the most time consuming part. But mumma on her own managed fine while watching Coronation Street!
The garage itself is so bright and colourful, very attractive and instantly draws the little mans attention. I love that it lights up and has lots of sounds as well. Very interactive. I loved that it was the first ‘proper child’s toy’ that Aiden could play with independently (as in not a squeaky, squishy, rattly baby toy).
He could zoom the car around and press the buttons, drive up and down in the lift (the turning motion took some practice but he got there), spin on the turntable or whizz down the winding ramp, drive it through the car wash (which talks to you!), fill-up at the petrol station (which also talks to you!) and be rewarded with lots of fun sound effects and phrases.
It’s very well made and sturdy (put it like this, Aiden is a big boy and at 18 months old he took to using it to climb on to reach things higher up and it held his weight and didn’t bend or break – not that I’m condoning his using it for this purpose – just making the point that is very durable!)
Expand the Toot-Toot Fun
The thing I like the most about this toy is that other Toot Toot Driver playsets can be added onto it.
You can literally buy other Vtech Toot Toot Drivers sets (which we have done) and connect them with track sets and have extra vehicles (all sold separately) which means your child will never tire of playing with the same old toy because new parts can be added all the time; future Christmas and Birthday presents – sorted!
In fact, for Aidens 2nd Birthday he got the Vtech Toot Toot Drivers Parking Tower (Find it here)
And the Vtech Toot Toot Driver Police Station (Find it here)
The vehicles also each interact on all of the interaction points differently. Meaning they all say different things, teach different things and play different music which is fantastic!
- Brightly coloured featuring both lights and sounds
- You can adjust the volume of the garage
- Has a 4 year age range making it fantastic value for money
- Sturdy and durable
- Only 1 vehicle included
- You have to add the stickers and decorations yourself which can be very fiddly and time consuming
- You can’t turn down the volume of the cars, only switch on/off
Do I think it suits the age range it’s for?
Aiden has played with it from the age of about 14 months and my nephew who is 4 also loves it. Therefore, I believe it is absolutely targeted at the right age range and a wide age range in terms of children’s toys.
Would I say its worth the money?
With all the features it includes, how durable and well made it is. The fact that it can be expanded with other playsets. It is targeted at a wide age range and is so interactive. I believe that it is excellent value for money.
Would I buy similar playsets?
I would and i have! I’ve also bought some of the individual cars for my friends children’s birthdays and Christmas.
Would I recommend this product?
Definitely. No question about it. In terms of children’s toys this is fantastic. One of the best and most loved toys Aiden has.
The Vtech Toot Toot Drivers Garage has provided hours and hours of imaginative playing and learning. It’s given Aiden a chance to work on his motor skills. It’s kept him amused and been fun. Most importantly however, it’s given mummy some peaceful time to herself – which is priceless in my book!
All-in-all, well worth the money and the hype! To try it for yourself click here
What is your childs most loved toy at the moment? Leave a comment in comment section below and be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss new posts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Stay Up To Date
Subscribe for FREE and get new blog posts, inspiration, recipes and more straight to your inbox